Welcome to the South End Rowing Club
Established in 1873 and continually making history.
The South End Rowing Club is a San Francisco institution and the city's oldest swimming and rowing club.
The club is one of the oldest west coast clubs and was founded in 1873. The six-oared barge "South End" was christened on Valentine's Day 1915 and is still in occasional use. Constructed in 1905, the boathouse building was once located near AT&T park and moved in 1908 to Aquatic Park and came to rest at its current home at 500 Jefferson Street in 1938.
Over its long history, Club members have accomplished extraordinary athletic feats. South Enders compromise of the best athletes in the world. We have some of the most elite open water swimmers thanks to our Bay providing an excellent training spot and our very active swim program. Three of our members have completed over 1000 Alcatraz crossings, three have completed the Ocean's 7 Challenge, several have finished the Triple Crown of Marathon Swimming, and two of our members have swam from the Farallones to the Golden Gate Bridge. Our rowers regularly compete in the Head of the Charles regatta among several other national rowing and erg (indoor rowing) competitions. South End runners compete in the Dipsea Race, the country's oldest trail race and other major marathon and ultramarathon running events. Our two handball courts are heavily used by a handball program that is over one hundred years old.
To be a South Ender is to love life, enjoy good food and drink, revel in the company of fellow members, throw great parties, and be very glad to live in the San Francisco Bay Area. There is something for everyone at the South End Rowing Club. We hope you'll visit us, become a member, and see why we call it 'the best club on earth'. Join and contribute to our community and celebrate the San Francisco Bay with us.
We are located at 500 Jefferson Street on the East side of Aquatic Park in San Francisco.
View the live feed from the webcam at the top of our clubhouse here!
Support the renovation and preservation of our historic club