The South End Rowing club was founded in 1873 near Third and Berry—the south end of town. In the century and a quarter since its founding, the Club has grown and changed in many ways. After the great earthquake and fire, the current clubhouse was moved by barge to Aquatic Park near North Beach, where it remains. Women were first welcomed into the club in 1977, and today comprise a third of the club’s 1,300+ members.
Over the years, rowing was joined by handball, swimming, and running as club sports. The South End is home to participants in these sports at every level, from elite athletes (including English Channel swimmers and national handball champions) to recreational ones. The Club embraces people at all levels, providing instruction, camaraderie, and a welcoming, inclusive atmosphere.